Sunday, April 2, 2017

How to keep reading the Book of Mormon.

This past week I saw a video of a speech on the Mormon channel called the Perfect Lie, given by Tiffany Webster. I recommend the video, it can be found on YouTube. She spoke of how her life was changed by reading the Book of Mormon because it filled her with light. She did not read it to check the activity off a list but because she needed it at that point in her life. It reminded me of a scripture found in Alma 32:28.

28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves--It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

I have recently been wondering how to have a habit of reading the Book of Mormon without eventually stopping. Watching this video, I realized the key is that it is much more difficult to read out of obligation for an extended period of time. According to Alma, the word will begin to be delicious to us. If it really is delicious to us, we would start looking forward to studying the word of God. It might not be delicious right at first, but after we start tasting of God’s love through His word, it will be. I have recommitted to make my studies more meaningful with the goal to eventually look forward to my study time. To give further aid in improving personal study, I also recommend a talk given by Elder Christofferson called, “When Thou Art Converted.” When we start looking forward to our study time, this is clear evidence that the word is delicious to us. Our lives will be totally changed  and we will have an increased portion of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment